Thursday, June 10, 2010

bittersweet accomplishments

Creativity Boot Camp
Day 5
Topic: Grow


There are few things in my life as precious as witnessing my children learn something new. There is such sublime joy to be found in these tiny moments. Suddenly, the bad day I had melts away in the presence of their innocence and simple contentedness.

There are milestones, of course--first steps, first words, potty training-- but there are also a great deal of other "firsts that don't get quite as much cultural attention. They are nonetheless milestones that mark the cobblestone streets of youth.

As parents, we notice all of these.

First time putting on your own shoes.

First time drawing a picture (that actually looked like something!).

First time building something by yourself with your blocks.

These aren't huge things. They may not be particularly life-changing. But they are still exciting and important.

It isn't entirely because they learned to do something new. It's not just because we watched them try, unsuccessfully, until one day something clicked. Moments like these are precious on a much grander scale, as well.

These little moments--these day-to-day accomplishments-- are hard evidence of the growth our children are doing every day. They might be mundane, but they are still sacred, precious miracles.

Like finding a flower this afternoon where there wasn't one this morning.

I live for these daily milestones, but witnessing them is bittersweet. These moments make me proud and joyful, but they also remind me that time is passing. Some time all too soon, day-to-day joy will be harder for them to discover. Some time soon, they won't be sheltered under my wing.

This is the hardest part of parenting.

Because the very thing I'm working hardest at is also something I wish didn't have to happen.

I'm helping them grow.

3 comments:

  1. It really is the hardest part, letting go of old firsts for new ones... Lovely take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God. This made me cry. It is so true. We are helping them grow, but I truly want it to stop. Katy is getting more and more like a young woman and Timmy like a boy. How do I make it stop without stunting their growth?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so true. I have two young teenagers and am very aware of how we are pulling them close to us with one hand, wanting to protect them, and pushing them to stand upright and be independent with the other because we want them to grow into strong adults.

    ReplyDelete